Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Shell Top and Polka Dots

Thank you Carla for sharing this recent sewing project for your daughter.  The navy and white polka dot is such a smart and versatile look for work. I know she will enjoy wearing this for years to come!


Simplicity 1692—View D 

After a couple of really busy months, I’m trying to get back into sewing!  I had purchased a couple of Retro blouse patterns that I thought my daughter would like.  I had also bought some blouse fabric from Roz at the April Fashionista’s meeting.  

I made a muslin to fit my daughter.  I knew she would not like the buttons on the shoulders nor the trim around the neck or sleeves. So, my plan was just to seam the shoulders and leave the trim off.  I chose the navy polka dot silk (sold out but other silks are here) thinking it would hang well!  When fitting the muslin, it fit in the bust but was too tight in the hips. Even though the pattern showed it tucked in, it was way too short to tuck!  So, I added width at the bottom and tapered the seam to fit at the bust.  I added 1 and ½ inches length.  One pattern review said they raised the tucks ½ inch—so I did the same thinking it would fit a little better under the bust!

Since I was working with a silk, I wasn’t sure how the invisible zipper would do in the side—especially after I made the seam more curvy by adding width at the bottom.  I thought I’d stabilize the seam before inserting the zipper.  I used an iron on light weight knit stabilizer—it’s just what I had that I thought would work!  The zipper went in fine, but I’m not sure I like the way it hangs.  I’m kind of thinking the pattern and fabric was not that great of a match. And I’m also not sure I like having an invisible zipper on the side when it’s planned to tuck in.  Too much bulk!

My next challenge was the neckline.  The pattern called for facings, but I did not think facings would do well with the silk.  I thought a bias binding would be better.  I stabilized the neckline with fusible tricot hem tape.  Then I stay stitched over the tape.  This seemed to work well!  Roz gave me some tips on the bias and I also found a great you-tube which gave me specific instructions on how wide to cut the bias for a specific width finish!  

All in all, I’m happy with my construction but have reservations on whether my daughter will like!  We’ll see!!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Very pretty top. I like the look of the neckline!

becki-c said...

This fabric is such a dream, I'm sure it will be very pretty on her.
i like the bias binding instead of the facings, nice touch.