Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pattern Review Vogue 1086
 


100% Cotton Lawn (sold out)

The fabric sews and presses beautifully.  I did not prewash the fabric.  I never do because my intention is to always dry clean the completed garments after wearing them.  I know some people swear by prewashing for shrinking (especially cottons), but I've never had a problem with shrinking.  


I used french seams in the entire garment and didn't line the dress.  I thought about it, but didn't like the effect of the skirt.  So, I will wear (don't laugh) a SLIP (imagine that!) with it.

The neckline was a challenge because my bust measurement and cup size is smaller than the pattern so I had to be sure that the fit was good.  It's still a little roomy at the top. 




I also inserted the zipper on the right side of the dress to accommodate my recent shoulder surgery which won't allow me to raise my left elbow to zip up the dress.  Lesson here:  I always analyze my designs and patterns before layout and cutting to make sure that I have covered my needs for fit.  And then after doing that, sometimes the garments still don't fit the way we like them to!!!

Accessories
Jacket Coldwater Creek

Shoes DSW

Necklace from a Galleria costume jewelry store
Thanks Beverly for sharing your sewing journey with us!!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Burda Style February 2011

All Styles at a Glance


Line Drawings


Asian Inspiration
Coat #113
Pants #115A

To color block ........
Dress #110A

........Dress #117B......

......Or not to color block.....
Dress #110B

......That is the question!
Dress #117A

DIY project pleating fabric

Maternity 
Coat #124
Pants 125A

Plus Size
Wedding Dress #134
To purchase, go to www.smfabric.com

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pattern Review Vogue 2624 (out of print)


82% Cotton 18% Rayon
(sold out)

The fabric was very easy to sew-no nap-and I didn't worry about matching the print.  In fact, I used the reverse side for the front facing just for added interest.  The side opening pockets were fun to construct.

Pattern alterations: I did increase the size of the sleeves-this is a modified kimono sleeve so I had to allow for my large upper arms and the area around the elbows for movement and tapered it back to the wrist.

Interfacing: I used medium weight woven fusible just for the collar and front opening.
Lining: I used the cotton batiste in turquoise (sold out) from Sew Much Fabric.  There are no buttons.

Accessories from Talbots Outlet


If you still have this fabric in your stash, here is an inspiration on what the fabric could become!
Thanks Beverly!