Sunday, June 01, 2008

Fabric: 60"
48% Cotton 48% Modal 4% Lycra
16.00

Prewash: Cold water delicate cycle; dry on permapress cycle
After it is constructed I will machine wash it but lay it flat to dry. This did shrink 1.75 inches in width and 2 inches in length. I would get an extra 1/8 yard to be safe.

Notions: thread, clear elastic, stretch twin needle 4.0/75

Alterations: When you work with knits you are usually working with negative ease. That means the finished measurement of your garment is less than your actual measurements. For example, I made size D. The bust measurement for size D is 38 inches on the size chart. The flat patten measurement is 34 3/4. The difference is 3 1/4 inches. The stretch in the knit makes up the difference and gives a fitted RTW look. Be sure and take your measurements carefully and follow the size chart. I did a muslin and found out the back waist length was too long. I took a 1 inch tuck center back and tapered to nothing at the side seam in two places.
I saw no need for a seam at the center back of the collar. I marked the seam allowance and put it on the fold.

Construction: Once you work out any fit issues, you can stitch this baby up in about 2-3 hours.
I added clear elastic across the center back where the collar is attached. This will help keep the shape when taking it on and off.
I also used Steam-a-Seam 2 for the hem and the hem of the sleeves.
I clipped the seam allowance and pressed them in opposite directions. This alleviates any bulk in the hem and makes it easier to topstitch.
Finished product

Conclusion: This is a very quick and easy project that looks good on most figure types. Change it up by using a contrasting fabric for the collar or lengthen into a dress.

2 comments:

Apest said...

I love this top. I have to say it fits you better than the model on the pattern bag!
Well done!

Roz said...

Thanks Apest for stopping by and your lovely complement.