I'm not a fan of heavy, bulky coats. Maybe it's my age (forty something) or just wanting my life to be "lighter", but I don't want to wear things that weigh me down. So this year I decided to take a jacket pattern and turn it into a fun, light weight coat. I used Vogue 1543 (OOP) and an animal print cotton twill. The pattern had enough ease to fit over sweaters, so I only needed to make a few changes.
First I did a FBA alteration,
sewed the side slits closed,
and added belt loops and a tie belt.
I have enough fabric left to make an additional belt with red twill on the other side. The pattern is unlined with bias binding finish. I added a lining and finished the edges with bias binding as a facing.
The finished coat is light and not at all bulky.
Even though this pattern is OOP there are similar patterns available. Make one for yourself this spring in pique, cotton/lycra blend or linen.
Happy New Year! It's time to look ahead and plan your Spring/Summer 2007 wardrobe. Fashion no longer dictates to just one style. Fashion is full of choices for all ages, body types and lifestyles so select the ones that apply to you. Here is an overview of the new season's trends.
1. Overall Trends: Minimalist or Futuristic-structured, A-line shapes in black and white or geometric prints Feminine-very billowy, sheer shapes in floral prints Sporty-layered T-shirts and anorak jackets all made in athletic fabrics like mesh, nylon and jerseys
2. Color: Black/white, navy/white-always a springtime favorite Neutrals-sands, creams, taupes, and grays Brights-yellow, orange, electric blue, green, violet Metallics- silver and gold for day and night Prints- florals, stripes and dots
3. Fabrics: Soft knits, lace, eyelets, organza, chiffon, beaded, linens and fabrics with lycra
4. Dresses: The #1 trend of the season-Bubble, baby doll, shifts, wrap, empire and drop waist Hemlines are at or above the knee
5. Blouses: Poet and bell sleeves, ruffles, light weigh fabrics (you'll need camisoles)
6. Skirts: Layered ruffles, A-line, pencil
7. Pants/Shorts: Wide leg, slouchy pants Shorts worn to the knee like last summer Leggings and slim pants are hanging around but are on the back burner
8. Accessories: Wear lots of chunky bangles Jewelery made of clear lucite
9. Handbags: Large, over sized in silver metallic or white Clutch bags for evening